Thursday, April 7, 2016

My (completely biased but un-paid-for) review of Genepro Protein

I was Sleeved on Dec. 1st, and to date I am doing fantastic... 66 pounds down... full of energy... feeling great!  I credit the trifecta of WLS:  Water, Walking, Protein...


Protein.  Protein haunted my dreams for months.  I looked at the prospect of protein shakes with the apprehension of a nearing apocalypse.   So, I went in search of protein that I could handle.  I would love to tell you I tried them all, but I didn't.  But I tried a lot.

I tried:

Premier Protein
Isopure
Syntrax Nectar
YEAH!
Muscle Milk
Isogenix
GNC Lean
Protein2o
Unjury

Plus about 5 others that I was given samples of by other people that I can't recall the names of.

Excuse the language, but protein powders are like assholes... everyone's got one and they swear theirs isn't gross.

For me, protein became a mission.

My FIRST moment of enlightenment with protein came in the form of my Unjury sample pack.  Contained within my samples was "unflavored", and I honestly thought to myself " Great- can't even be covered by chocolate!", but I tried it with some coffee and it was.... tolerable.  Also, it wasn't that terrible bitter-sweet flavor that other proteins had.  EUREKA!  Maybe it wasn't the protein I hated... maybe it was the FLAVORING!

But, there was still a problem.  There was a LOT of powder to get in, and moving forward I knew that I would only be able to get down a little at a time.  Looking into the future, I saw it taking me and hour or two to get this stuff down.

By the way, my foresight on this was smart, but I couldn't even begin to understand how little I would be able to consume after surgery.  Please, if you are considering Gastric Sleeve, go and put 4 ounces of a thick liquid in a cup and take a really good hard long look at it, realizing it can take you at least 30 minutes to get that down.  If the shake you get ends up being 8 ounces or more, you are going to have a bad time.

 So, I went searching for something concentrated.

That is when I found Genepro.  I random search of a Bariatric Weight Loss board and I saw rave reviews.  30 gr. of protein in a tablespoon- I was intrigued!

I went off to do my research, and I found exactly the kind of skepticism that I needed to make an informed decision.  There were people who were doubting the claims... as well they should!  Even a base understanding of physics can make you understand that it's not possible to get 30 gr. of protein in a 15 gr. serving.... right!?!

I don't buy snake oil, and I looked at their own claims with a grain of salt.  So, while I waited for their samples to arrive by mail ( Yes- they have samples for $4.50- try before you buy! http://shopmusclegen.com/genepro-sample ), I went to search out each and every claim they made, and here is what I found:

* Note- I'm not a scientist, but what I found is the findings from several sources, including my own Nutritionist.

When we ingest protein, we don't absorb it all.  Generally, we only absorb about 30% of it.  When your nutritionist tells you that you need to be getting in 60 gr. of protein, that 60 gr. is with the end goal of your body actually absorbing 18gr. ( or 30% of 60).

The KEY to all of this is the idea of NUTRITIONAL EQUIVALENT.

Now, what if there was a protein that you could absorb more than 30% of?  That is EXACTLY what Genepro is.  It's broken down, and their studies and the independent research is showing that the human body absorbs more like 90% of Genepro's broken down protein.

So, back to the math.  If what a human body needs to absorb is 18gr. of protein, and the body absorbs 90% of Genepro, then you actually only need 20 gr. of Genepro to get the same amount of protein as 60gr. of any other protein source.

Now, maybe you can understand how they get 30 gr. of nutritionally equivalent protein into a 15 gr. serving.... because it's ACTUALLY 10 gr. of protein that you absorb 90% of, instead of 30 gr. of protein that you only absorb 30% of.  Got it?

So... on to the nitty gritty ( or not so gritty... yeah!!!)

Does it taste horrible?

Well, no... but I won't lie... it doesn't taste like nothing.  There are some people who think that flavorless is the same as tasteless.. it's not.  There is a taste.. to me.  There are some people who say it has no taste, and I don't think that is true.  BUT, it's better than... well... everything other thing I've tried.  And because it's only a tablespoon, you can get it out of the way fast... and I'm totally a "get it out of the way" kinda girl!

I have two ways I take my Genepro.  At first, I did little "shots" of it.  I got a shot-glass size cup,  put in my Genepro, filled it with water, and a very quick squeeze of a Crystal Lite Squeezable product ( Okay- it's time to fess up.. it was sugar free Tang... because I'm like a 9 year old!!!).  At first, I was getting some chunks, and I just pushed my way through it.  Then, I did a little reading and a little experimentin' , and I figured out the best thing to do.

First of all, it tastes better cold... but it dissolves better in warm ( NOT HOT) liquid.   Next, I found out you need to add Genepro TO liquid, not liquid TO Genepro.   Solution?  I mixed it with warm tap water, added the Genepro  to the liquid ( not the other way around), added the squeeze, stirred with a fork ( a fork works best).  Then, I add ONE ice cube and let it melt for a few minutes.  Now, I have a perfect shot... dissolved... cold...and I can get it down in two quick swallows.  THIRTY GRAMS OF PROTEIN DONE IN SECONDS!

Once I was through my first month post-op, I abandoned one of the rules, and went back to my beloved coffee, and this is where my Genepro truly shines!  Every morning, I have the same routine.  With my Keurig, I make a 10 oz. cup of strong coffee.  I have two cups... one small and one large.  I put the small cup in first and let it brew the first ounce to ounce and a half.  Then, I swap out the cup quickly and put under the large cup that I will sip on for the next hour or so ( because it takes me that long to drink a cup of coffee).  I put in my splenda and fat free cream in both cups, and my one tablespoon of Genepro into the smaller cup, and wisk it around with a fork.  It's important here that the coffee not be really really hot, or the Genepro will curdle a bit, so adding creamer first gets it to the temperature where Genepro dissolves well.  If you don't use cream, I recommend a little bit of cold water.

Again, I'm sensitive to the slight flavor, so I don't want it in my full cup and would rather just get it out of the way.  I get in that small cup just standing in the kitchen.  Again- my 30 grams of protein- DONE!

I can't say enough great things about this product.  I know that looking at a 90 day jar at it's $100+ pricetag seems like a lot, but that's only about $1 per serving, which is really very reasonable.  I have had my 3 month post op bloodwork and it has come back perfect in every way.

If you have struggle with finding a protein supplement that doesn't make you hate the world, please please please try this product.  I promise you that you will not regret it!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that someone else can taste Genepro! I was beginning to think I was the only one! You have great tips! I'm only a week out from sugery so I'm still figuring this stuff out. So far I found that I can mix it with soup but not sweet things like yogurt or applesause. I still love it. So much protein in a little scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete